Tuesday, April 27, 2010

OK, I'm doing it.

Endorsing a product, that is.

A while back, I posted about the things I needed most (or wished I'd had) when I brought Joey home. I haven't had an "OH CRAP, I HOPE THEY CAN SHIP THAT OVERNIGHT" moment in quite a while, but when Mike insisted we wean Joey off the bottle - and Joey promptly decided he wouldn't drink cow's milk out of anything but - I was desperate to find a solution. I posted on Facebook asking fellow moms what they did to get their little ones to give up the bottle and latch onto the cup. I was determined not to give up - I know, I know, we don't really need to drink cow's milk, but it is a good source of nutrition and, if nothing else, a quick, healthy snack in a pinch (read: do not leave me comments about how cow's milk is bad for you/there are healthier alternatives/it was unnecessary to wean my 13 month old off the bottle so soon/yadda yadda yadda).

Anyway, I got recommendations ranging from Ovaltine (tried it, didn't work) to just give him milk, and nothing else, and eventually he'll have to drink it. Well, I didn't feel like going through 3 days of hell and dehydrating my sick toddler in the process, so I went for the middle ground. A good friend of mine recommended the Born Free Trainer Cup. We had tried cups with all sorts of spouts, straws... and so had she. She said this was the only thing that worked. I'd try anything, so I ordered it immediately (there is no store within 100 miles of us that carries them! Why, why, why?) When the cup arrived yesterday, I was optimistic. Joey wasn't in the best mood, but I put a little milk in it, warmed it up, and tried sitting with him and giving him his new "ba ba." He wasn't buying it. In fact, he was downright pissed. He'd take a few sucks, then push it away and cry. Oh. No. FAILURE! But I wouldn't give up.

I waited a little while, gave him a snack, and then we sat on the floor and played. I put the cup near him so he could try it if he wanted to. A little while later, I saw him reaching for it. I didn't want to make a peep! He took a couple sucks, looked at it, and then started chugging! I was amazed, and hoped it wasn't a fluke. Nope! No fluke. Since yesterday, he's been drinking out of the new cup with no complaints.

3 comments:

Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB said...

Congrats. We've been through multiple cups here and found that Little Miss Kickboxer will use only the Playtex ones with the two handles and the cheapo cheap Nuby ones with the hard spout--the upshot: All sold at our local consumerist hellhole (aka Walmart).

Annie said...

Thanks! And I think I have a new name for Walmart now! lol

Anonymous said...

OMG so adorable!
My younger brother and sister were the same, they didn't like the sippy-cups when we tried to force them to drink from it. They didn't have any choice 'coz we hid the bottles. :))

Anyway, congratulations!