Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Someday

Someday, I will get a full night's sleep and look well-rested. I will leave the house on time. I will be wearing eyeliner, my legs and underarms will be shaved, and I will remember to put lotion on my knees and elbows. My hair will be styled. I will not be wearing flip-flops, and my clothes will look nice, fit well, and there will be no visible sign or offensive odor of spit-up or baby poo on them. I will not have to run back into the house three times for things I have forgotten before I pull out of the driveway. I will go to a restaurant and eat my meal at a normal pace and maybe even have a second glass of wine. I will take an extra hour to shop, and make one more stop on my way home just because I feel like it. I will crank up the car stereo, and sing at the top of my lungs. When I get home, I will grab a good book, and an icy margarita. I will fall asleep in a lounge chair, and get a little sunburned, but I won't mind.

Until then, please excuse my tardiness, excess body hair, love handles, baggy-butt jeans, hastily gathered ponytail and made-up face, wine glasses left half-full, and eating habits that Emily Post would surely frown upon, as I have a four-month old child, and he is teething. Thank you. (Oh, and I'll just keep dreaming about the extra shopping, lounge chair, and "normal" outing to a restaurant until he is in preschool).

2 comments:

Meghan said...

My first day of working at the Black Cat (again) I was so anxious to be by myself in the car, until I found a CD I love (that Geoff hates) and realized I could listen as LOUD as I wanted and sing along and not worry at all about what was going on in the backseat. It was -- I swear -- the best feeling I've had in SUCH a long time. I had forgotten how much I used to love doing that.

Katie DiSimone said...

I cried one morning at iHOP from delirious happiness at being able to eat a leisurely breakfast. It was after a wedding night, Jason's dad babysat for us. We went to iHOP before heading home to pick up the girls from his house. We ordered slowly. Got refills on the drinks. Chatted. Didn't ask for the bill to come at all and instead waited for it patiently. Left our drinks near the edge of the table (that one you'll appreciate soon enough). And, even ordered dessert after finishing our breakfast because we could take the extra time. It was heaven. I cried.