Friday, April 9, 2010

The Cake

I mentioned in Joey's one year update that I made his birthday cake. I set myself up for total failure by finding this cake online, deciding to duplicate it for Joey's party, and telling all my Tweeps and Facebook friends what I was up to. But you know what? I didn't fail! It came out awesome, if I do say so myself, and I didn't even say the eff-word once. Really, ask Mike.

The tutorial for making the cars on top came from CakeJournal and I pretty much just winged the rest (referring to photos from Sara Bakes Cakes the whole way through). The cake and frosting recipes came from Zoe Bakes, and they were just divine: Not Your Average Devil's Food and Outrageous Mocha Buttercream. I used the Wilton recipe to make my own marshmallow fondant (this stuff actually tastes good, too!) which covered the whole cake after it was iced, and was used to make the black checkers that circle the cake and a few pieces of the gumpaste cars. For the "dirt" track, I tossed the scraps from trimming the domes off of the baked cakes into the food processor to make crumbs.

Without further ado, the cake:


5 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention in your note to me that you are a MASTER CAKE BAKER! Wow - the cake looks amazing. Great work!

Annie said...

Oh, Sara, far from it! I couldn't have done it without inspiration from your post - I'm more of a cook than a baker :) But thank you so much for the compliment, that means a lot - your cakes are amazing!

Ben said...

dude, can you make ricky's for #1? oh wait... i may get in trouble for that...

wow account for sale said...

Great! That was awesome.

Annie said...

Thanks!