Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mom and Dad's Big Night Out

This past Thursday, Mike and I went on a date. Sans baby. It was the first time in almost 7 weeks that we had been in a restaurant together - or alone together at all for that matter - and when we left the house, I realized it was the first time I had ridden in his car in as many weeks. My mom came over to watch Joey, and I must admit, it was a little weird to walk my mom through the house, showing her where diapers, blankets, PJs and bottles were, showing her how to use the stroller if she wanted to take him for a walk (this almost always calms him down if he's inconsolable) and explaining how to heat up the breast milk that was stored in the fridge.

When we left the house, Joey was asleep on the couch next to his grandma, and she looked like a deer in headlights (sorry mom, you did!), but I knew everything would be fine. I kissed Joey on the head and told him I loved him, and to be good to grandma while we were out. Of course, he woke up screaming when we couldn't have been more than a block away. But, grandma handled it like the pro that she is, and calmed him down.

It wasn't too hard to leave Joey, after all, I trust my mom and I knew he would be safe, and we were only going to be gone for a couple of hours. But, when we were heading up Hwy 1 to Cambria (we were going to have dinner at the Black Cat) I caught myself looking in the back seat to check on a baby in a car seat that wasn't there, and I laughed. We got to the restaurant, and were greeted by Deborah and Alexis. It was fun to be back. We were shown to our table, and Luis brought us bread and butter. I ordered a Kir Royal in honor of Dale (oh what can I say about Dale - to say he was a restaurant regular would be an understatement - he was there every night, and was one of the sweetest old men you could ever meet in your life, part of the Black Cat family), and Mike ordered his usual Palma Louca beer. We each ordered three courses and shared dessert. I tried hard not to rush through dinner, but there was a big part of me wanting to finish up and get home - something I didn't really expect. I wasn't worried about Joey, but I was anxious to see how it went, to see how my mom and Joey did on their own, and to see if she'd ever do it again!

Dinner was amazing. Mike and I had a great time being alone with each other again, and I don't think I could adequately describe how much that time meant to me. I must admit, I wondered before we left if we would spend the whole time talking about Joey, if we'd have anything else in common any more. Of course we talked about Joey, but I was happy to find that we are still "us," too.

We headed home after we finished dessert, and we had only been gone for about two and a half hours when we got home. My mom was shocked to see us home so soon! Mike's mom and grandma (Joey's other grandma and his great-grandma) were visiting, and Joey was laying on the couch again, in his PJs, fed and ready for bed. He looked a little confused - who are all these women, and where is my mom? - but he was just fine. I was so proud. It was a good night.

Thank you, mom!!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Each day my mom is closer to moving here (she just needs to find a place, dangit!) Geoff and I say "I can't wait to go on a date".

This sounds HEAVENLY!!!!!