Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Prenatal Visit #6

The countdown has officially begun. For the first part of my pregnancy, I was heading to the doctor once a month. Now, I will be going once every two weeks for the next 4, and then once a week after that. All my appointments are scheduled, and I even have one the day before my due date. Eeek!

Anywho, today's appointment was much of the same. I asked my doc about a pain that I've been getting almost daily - starts under my ribs on the right side, and radiates to my back. I had been attributing it to a cute little baby foot jammed up under my ribs, but turns out it's more likely my big ol' uterus putting pressure on my liver. Yeah, my liver (she said gall bladder, too, but I don't have one of those anymore). Have you ever seen a boxer get punched in the liver? It's supposed to be one of the most painful places to be hit. Drop you to your knees kind of pain. Fortunately, mine hasn't been prize-fighter bad just yet, but hey, I've got almost three months left to go, so there's still a chance. Crap.

I had my glucose screening test last week (had another great phlebotomist in the lab, by the way), and although my glucose tolerance was fine (thank God), my blood work showed that I am mildly anemic. No big deal really, I just need to add an iron supplement (on top of my prenatal vitamin) to my daily routine, and eat more beef or other iron rich foods. Apparently there's not much iron in Velveeta. I will also make sure not to skip my daily dose of Benefiber. Those of you that have been pregnant know what I mean by that. Those of you that have not, read this.

On the home front, we have finally started cleaning out our office so that our little man will have a place of his own when we bring him home from the hospital. I am looking forward to getting the nursery all set up and ready for him. We should be having a garage sale sometime in the near future. Anyone need a secretary's desk?

1 comment:

Meghan said...

The constipation is practice for pushing out the baby, I swear to God.

And your POOR liver!!! OMG! I think with my long torso I never got any of that ... oh man.